Wednesday 10 February 2021

Sunrise 10 February 2021

Click on an image to see a larger version.  All images copyright Leslie Ashe.

A look at the weather forecast for the week ahead showed that today was going to be the best day for broken cloud at sunrise.  The rest of the period was looking like 100% cover.

A 25 minute drive brought me to the beach and I admit I sat for a while drumming up the courage to go out into the teeth of the wind.  With wind chill the temperature would feel like -6.  Having made the effort of dragging myself out of my warm bed I resolved that I had to get out!

First location was at a pool beside a rock outcrop that I have photographed many times but with the tide well out.  This time I had a fast rising tide which was beginning to sweep past the rock and into the pool.  I took a couple of images before the shape of the pool disappeared completely.




I wandered further along the beach to another favoured rock outcrop.


The final image was taken half an hour later.  By this time the sun was up but hidden behind the clouds on the horizon.   Patience was rewarded when the broken clouds to the north-east started to take on some colour and with a change of position it was just a matter of waiting for the clouds to arrange themselves to provide a balanced composition.   If you look at the larger versions of the final 2 images you can see the remains of ice which had formed on the beach overnight.  

I returned to the car with numb fingers from operating the camera but with a warm glow that it had been worth the effort.  And breakfast never tastes better when I get home after a morning's photography!



No comments:

Post a Comment