Saturday 16 January 2021

2020 Review - October

 

Click on an image to see a larger version.  All images copyright Leslie Ashe.


I mentioned in my September blog that a health issue  had restricted my activities.  Early October saw me in hospital for a day procedure.  Recovering from this continued to restrict what I was able to do but as the month progressed I was encouraged to slowly increase my physical activity which meant that I could start to get out again with the camera and also start to extend my exercise to include gentle, then easy, walks in the mountains.

The evening before the procedure I made the effort to get out for the harvest moon rising at Donaghadee.  It gave me something to think about other than what was to take place the next day!


It was 3 weeks before I felt fit enough and confident enough to heave the big camera bag and tripod out for some autumn colour in Clandeboye.


The next day I ventured out with two colleagues for a low level walk in the western Mournes.  To keep weight down I didn't carry a camera and my phone yielded this image of a relic of the not too distant past when turf was cut in the area for use as a fuel.  


Towards the end of the month the call of autumn colour in Tollymore got me out again with the camera and tripod.  It turned out to be a very tiring day but good nonetheless.

Very heavy rain in the previous week had wreaked havoc along the Shimna River with three wooden bridges swept away, damage to the stepping stones at the meeting of the waters and large areas of the riverside path washed away. The damage to the bridge in the image below, where half of it has been washed away and with significant damage to the rest of it, shows the level that the river reached.


I couldn't resist making my annual pilgrimage to Foley's Bridge

Amongst the evergreens the ferns provided autumn colour.


Finally, at the end of the month I had another easy day in the mountains, again with my phone for pictures.

We spent some time in and around the remains of some of the granite workings in the Annalong Valley.  

The remains of a shelter.

We came across two "fizz troughs" where the workmen tempered their tools.



The crags of Lower Cove

And a waterfall I hadn't seen before and which warrants another visit with a camera and tripod.



No comments:

Post a Comment